My granddaughter, Emily Nash, began her teaching career this week. She has been working hard all summer to prepare her classroom and curriculum. I wrote this prayer as a blessing for her; but I have edited it here to include all teachers, students, and staff as they face a particularly challenging and uncertain year.
Blessed are You, God of love, truth, goodness, and beauty. As our teachers prepare for a year of teaching, bless them, their classrooms, and all the kids who will soon gather.
You have already blessed our teachers with gifts and training. Now bless them with
- Enthusiasm for the tasks ahead
- Patience amid resistance
- Gentleness amid conflict
- Empathy for the troubled
- Steadfastness when discouraged
- Perseverance amid failure and mistakes
- And joy when progress is evident
Bless the classrooms with beauty that
- Sparks imagination
- Enhances learning
- Invites inquiry
- Stimulates questions
- Fosters belonging
- Facilitates cooperation
- Feels like home.
Bless the students with
- Eagerness to learn and grow
- Trust in their inherent worth and dignity
- Willingness to learn from mistakes
- Confidence in their ability and potential
- Openness to guidance and correction
- A sense of belonging in a community of learning.
Bless the administrators and staff with
- Respect for one another
- Love and compassion for ALL students
- Mutual accountability for nurturing a learning community
- Enduring commitment to excellence in education and formation.
Bless and fill each school with Love, Truth, Goodness, and Beauty so that each may be a beacon of hope for a world of peace, justice, and liberty for ALL people. Amen.