Abundant and generous God: your goodness is beyond measure; your power knows no limits except that which you impose; your bounty includes all that exists; your truth exceeds our comprehension; and your beauty is inexhaustible. We stand in awe before your inexhaustible greatness.
We acknowledge your provision for us and your preferential presence with those to have too little–the poor, the oppressed, the powerless, the vulnerable, the sick.
We pray today for those who seem to have too much, and thereby suffer from spiritual, moral, and ethical poverty:
- those with so much wealth that they are blind to the plight of the poor
- those with so much power that they exploit the powerless
- those with so much health that they think they are invincible
- those with so much intelligence that they lack wisdom
- those with so much prestige that they lack humility
- those with so much religion that they fail to be good
- those with so much hate that they no longer love
Forgive us, merciful God, for assuming we are god and failing to live as though life is a gracious gift. You call us to be faithful stewards of your gifts and to welcome ALL to your table of abundance.
Grant us the mind that was in Christ Jesus–the humble mind, devoted to loving, seeking, and serving those who have too little. Remind us again that without self-giving love, we have nothing. Amen.