General Conference begins today with a season of worship and prayer. I can’t be present in St. Louis, but I am joining the delegates, bishops, and guests in this time of prayer. I begin my prayer with confession and repentance.
Here are some of the sins which I lift before God in repentance:
- An over reliance on legislation to resolve theological, ethical, and ecclesial issues
- Substituting uniformity of belief for the oneness already wrought in Jesus Christ
- Prioritizing institutional preservation above faithfulness to God’s present and coming reign of compassion, justice, and hospitality
- Trusting in the exercise of political power over the practice of agape/love
- Confusing certainty of being right with humbly following Jesus
- Failure to love others as Christ loves us
I pray that throughout the General Conference session and beyond, we will “bring forth fruit worthy of repentance” and be the body of Christ in this broken, polarized, and suffering world.