O Jesus, you did not consider equality with God as something to be exploited. Rather you emptied yourself in humble, self-giving love to and for the world.
How desperately we need your presence among us in these troubled and anxious times! Our nation and church are locked in tribal, partisan battles for dominance and power, each side claiming “truth” and “right” and determined to prevail at all cost.
Burst our bubbles of privilege which blind us to the hurts of others and cause us to exploit you in our own pursuit of power and privilege. Deliver us from the perils of our privileges
- wealth that cuts us off from the poor
- positions of power that blind us to the suffering of the powerless
- education which discounts the wisdom of the uneducated
- prestige which presumes entitlement
- health that leads to insensitivity toward the frail
- religious convictions that leave no room for mystery
Create in us, O God, the mind that was in Christ Jesus–
- a sympathetic mind that feels the pain of the violated and wounded
- a humble mind, emptied of arrogance and boasting
- a generous mind, filled with love and goodwill toward all
- a courageous mind, willing to challenge injustice and cruelty in high and low places
- a searching mind, embracing mystery and wonder and awe
- a hopeful mind, trusting in the triumph of justice, compassion, goodness.
In the name and spirit of the One who is the Mind of God in human flesh, Jesus the Christ. Amen